The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Feeding in viv?

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Carl Posted - 18/11/2008 : 19:32:06
Can someone help with a bit of advice please.
Is it ok to feed your snake in its viv or is it better to
use a plastice box(storage) someone has told me my snake will bite
if I feed it in its viv.
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kazerella Posted - 21/11/2008 : 19:05:42
We feed outside the viv- it's more fun

Everything is BEs fault- we all know that
matty18714 Posted - 20/11/2008 : 22:38:21
quote:
Originally posted by magneticblue

quote:
Originally posted by serpentsseven

as long as you don't blame me if you get tagged

We all know that if anything goes wrong it has to be Blackecho's fault. Its the law

I second that
magneticblue Posted - 20/11/2008 : 20:42:24
quote:

We all know that if anything goes wrong it has to be Blackecho's fault. Its the law
Gingerpony Posted - 20/11/2008 : 20:25:29
magneticblue Posted - 20/11/2008 : 20:16:14
quote:

MB - if i'm feeding multiples i put the next one in as soon as they've finished the first. when their feed is finished i leave them 5-10 mins so they know they're not getting another mouse when i put my hand in. this works for me cos it's the routine i've always had with them

Thanks for that. Think I may try this on Sunday with their next feed.
Gingerpony Posted - 19/11/2008 : 20:14:33
MB - if i'm feeding multiples i put the next one in as soon as they've finished the first. when their feed is finished i leave them 5-10 mins so they know they're not getting another mouse when i put my hand in. this works for me cos it's the routine i've always had with them
Gingerpony Posted - 19/11/2008 : 20:12:48
24 hours is fine like mart said. if they leave it i'll usually wiggle it in front of their nose again to try to regain their interest, after 12 hours i'll reheat it, making sure it's really warm and try again.
magneticblue Posted - 19/11/2008 : 19:42:42
I leave food in the viv no longer than 24 hours. If the snake hasn't eaten it by then, then its not going to take it
Darren Posted - 19/11/2008 : 10:07:09
My snake got a bit of bark just in side her viv the person I got her from said they always put the mouse on there for her and I done the some tried a rat but she didn’t eat it so back to mouse’s how long do you leave the food in the viv for them to eat before you take it out
Darren
matty18714 Posted - 18/11/2008 : 21:16:16
quote:
Originally posted by magneticblue

I haven't fed any of my snakes outside of the viv but I've been told its a good idea because of the the reasons already given by serpentseven. My worry is that if the snake has already got a scent of food then when I get it out then won't it mistake me for food? Also, if the snake has just eaten itsn't there a chance it will think it is going to get a second mouse when I go to put it back in the viv?

Just make sure the snake cant get a whiff of the food before you take it out.

My corn gets very excited during feeding and theres no point in me using my hands to put her back because im 100% sure she will go for me. I use a coat hanger How big are your boas, a coat hanger may work until they are bigger
magneticblue Posted - 18/11/2008 : 21:07:12
I haven't fed any of my snakes outside of the viv but I've been told its a good idea because of the the reasons already given by serpentseven. My worry is that if the snake has already got a scent of food then when I get it out then won't it mistake me for food? Also, if the snake has just eaten itsn't there a chance it will think it is going to get a second mouse when I go to put it back in the viv?
Gingerpony Posted - 18/11/2008 : 20:05:46
feeding in the viv means at some point your snake is likely to mistake you for food, getting them in the habit of eating in a tub or tray means they won't associate or confuse your hand with a mouse/rat.
feeding out of the viv means there's no risk of ingesting substrate either

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000