The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Tears before breakfast

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kazerella Posted - 09/03/2010 : 09:33:05
Had an awful morning wake up today.... as the first thing I did was find Hypanthia dead in her vivarium. It was awful!!!!! In fact I'm still feeling sick thinking about seeing her like that, although I'm trying to hold back the tears since I'm at work and no one here would understand.

She seems to have choked on her substrate although I don't know how or why she would have got it in her mouth in the first place. There was one large piece in particular that seems to have got stuck horizontally across her mouth, so we can only think that she got that wedged first and then more auboise got into her throat as she struggled to dislodge that piece. Really upsetting to see and I don't think I'll ever get the image of her out of my head.

R.I.P Hypanthia! Going to miss you my beautiful black snake
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Darren Posted - 19/03/2010 : 11:31:20
Sorry to hear of your loss know how I felt the other day when my was eating herself & thought I lost her .
Hope you be alright best wishes
Darren
Mancunian Posted - 14/03/2010 : 22:26:10
Sorry to hear your sad news guys :(
Blackecho Posted - 11/03/2010 : 15:19:25
Poor snakey. We'll drink to her next Rep night. x
Kazerella Posted - 11/03/2010 : 11:48:33
quote:
Originally posted by Blackecho

Wrt the substrate in the mouth, I think its quite common for snakes in their last moments to thrash about with their mouths open and to end up with substrate in their mouths, I doubt it would be that she choked on the substrate.

A few days ago I would have agreed with you if someone had said the same thing, but she didn't just have a little bit in her mouth - it was stuffed in and went as far as her throat. Also the area where her main lung would be was really deflated, compared to the rest of the body. There's also not much evidence of thrashing about, although it looks like she did clear her bowels at the time.

I've been researching into possibilities of what could have caused it and I do think a seizure could be a possibilty, but not much is coming up in the books I've read or on google to explain anything.
sexychef Posted - 10/03/2010 : 21:51:30
sorry to here your news. RIP
HannahB Posted - 10/03/2010 : 20:37:51
am so sorry for your loss Kaz and Lewy
RIP Hypanthia x
Blackecho Posted - 10/03/2010 : 20:29:20
Sorry to hear that Kaz, really sorry.

Wrt the substrate in the mouth, I think its quite common for snakes in their last moments to thrash about with their mouths open and to end up with substrate in their mouths, I doubt it would be that she choked on the substrate.

If you need anything, you know where I am.

x
Gmac Posted - 10/03/2010 : 20:00:08
Kaz and Lewy, absolutely gutted for you and cant imagine what it must have been like for you. Sorry for your loss
Grumpy Posted - 10/03/2010 : 19:17:45
quote:
Originally posted by KITTYKAT

sorry for your loss.

So sorry to hear of your loss, I once found a corn, my first snake, dead one morning. Think the shop misled me about age, I'd just got over my fear and started enjoying the experience.
Kazerella Posted - 10/03/2010 : 12:54:52
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

magneticblue Posted - 09/03/2010 : 22:08:46
So sorry to hear that Kaz and Lewy. I remember how I felt when I found my royal dead and I'd only had it less than a week so you must be absolutely gutted. RIP Hypanthia
Gingerpony Posted - 09/03/2010 : 21:16:02
so sorry Karen and Mr Lewy *hugs*

Blessed Be
headlow Posted - 09/03/2010 : 18:54:40
Sorry to read that. I hope you're OK.

Best wishes,

Justin
lewy Posted - 09/03/2010 : 18:00:32
The image of poor hypanthia will be etched into my mind for ever. I wish we could have done something to help her. I really hope she didn't suffer, but I can only imagine she did Really don't know what to say.

Rest In Peace little one
Kazerella Posted - 09/03/2010 : 16:36:09
That's what I really don't understand - why would she have her mouth open in the first place?

I'm wondering if she was trying to bite herself or something? When we first got her she had small wounds all over her body, but we could never work out whether they were self-inflicted or if the previous owner had anything to do with them. But they had healed well and no more had appeared since, so we'd dismissed the biting herself theory.

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000