The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 General Posts
 heatmat

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
kooky1 Posted - 07/03/2010 : 20:26:28
hi everyone
im new and would like some advice re heatmats,today i got a year old king snake who came with viv mat etc,but the heatmat covers the whole of the bottom of the tank,so now i need a new one,the mat i have is 14.5 watts,if i get a smaller mat does it have to be the same wattage? thankyou
12   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
kooky1 Posted - 09/03/2010 : 10:11:35
thanks for the link magneticblue
magneticblue Posted - 08/03/2010 : 22:11:44
Try this link

http://www.thekingsnake.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=116
kooky1 Posted - 08/03/2010 : 21:42:44
id love to add a pic scott but dont know how
Triangulum Posted - 08/03/2010 : 21:16:30
Not a problem Kooky. If you want to use a disinfectant, I wouldn't reccomend buying them, as they are far to expensive. I use a 5% bleach solution and then rinse thoroughly after with warm water. Any pictures of him/her?

Scott
kooky1 Posted - 08/03/2010 : 18:28:58
thanks scott
i think he would be better in a bigger tank,not much room on the floor of the tank with his dish,hide and branch,can you recommend a good tank cleaner/steriliser/disinfectant type thing? anyway ill wait a bit until he settles in a bit more before i move him to his new home,thanks for your advice
Triangulum Posted - 08/03/2010 : 17:35:46
Personally, I'd move him into a 2ft tank, So he can stetch out more then 1ft. As a one year old should be close to two feet in legth. That way you can use the Heatmat from the 1ft. But like you said, please by the thermostat. And more importantly, make sure the 2ft tank/vivarium is escape proof, Lampropeltis are nightmares for escaping.

Scott
kooky1 Posted - 08/03/2010 : 13:01:42
hi guys
just wondered if i should move my king to a 2ft tank that way i wont have to buy another heat mat as i have to buy a thermostat as well,i only got him yesterday so i dont want to stress him out,seems happy enoughat the moment,hes eaten today and is snaking about and climbing aroundat the moment hes in a small exo terra viv 12x12x12 approx thanks
auger Posted - 08/03/2010 : 11:33:05
Kooky Welcome, whilst on the subject of Mats and Stats where is the best place to locate the stat sensor I have mine down low on the substrate above the mat along with an Thermometer probe is this correct, location based on fact that i shold be measuring the temp at Snake level.

Regards Auger
Kehhlyr Posted - 08/03/2010 : 00:51:07
Hiya Kooky and welcome to the forum.
kooky1 Posted - 07/03/2010 : 21:23:26
hi
its a california king snake,a bit feisty,there wasnt a thermostat with the heatmat i got with the snake,just his hide ,water bowl and vivarium,and also a bendy tree branch thing,ill invest in a thermostat tho,thanks for your advice guys
magneticblue Posted - 07/03/2010 : 20:50:11
I agree with Triangulum, get the heatmat that is the right size and make sure you use a thermostat. Welcome along to the forum. I hope you enjoy the experience of owning a king. Do you know what subspecies it is?
Triangulum Posted - 07/03/2010 : 20:31:19
Hi Kooky,

Welcome to the forum. Interms of the Heatmat, don't go by the wattage, go by the size it has to cover. A heatmat that is 1/3 or 1/2 is best, never more. When purchasing the new heatmat, please purchase a Thermostat to go with (thats if one was not supplied with it, which I hope it was if the heatmat was the full length of the vivarium). A basic On/Off or MatStat is sufficient for the job, this will set you back abut £20-30 but is an essential piece of kit. It basicly turns the heatmat of once it reaches the desired temperature. And turns on once it hits below that desired temperature.

Kind Regards,
Scott

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000