The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 General Posts
 Hi to all from Newbie and request for help

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
auger Posted - 04/03/2010 : 16:52:16
Hi, just thought I would introduce myself, i am new to Snake keeping have admired them for a long time but have only just taken the plunge. I have a Cream and Black Cali Female. She came to stay with us on Sunday, I have a small setup consisting of small plastic tank with aspen shavings, a cave, water pool, kitchen roll tube at warm end. I have a habistat mat at the hot end which is attached by velcro witha habistat controller. Digital thermometer monitor low level air temparture. My only mistake I think is from reading here that I have been handling her she doesnt seem bothered but from reading here should I leave her alone for a week? what to do about feeding I purchased a samll number of fluffies when I picked her up which are in the freezer. I did comment when I picked her up from the shop that her eyes were cloudy grey as though she was going to shed but theey are now clear bright black.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Auger
7   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
auger Posted - 05/03/2010 : 08:55:04
Thank you to all who have replied so far, all help and advice is much appreciated.

Auger
lee2308 Posted - 04/03/2010 : 23:01:05
hi and welcome to the forum,congrats with the shedding,always check the old skin to make sure the eyes have shed too,just a tip.
magneticblue Posted - 04/03/2010 : 22:07:03
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you've been doing your research. Look forward to seeing some pics of Calli!
Kehhlyr Posted - 04/03/2010 : 21:59:45
Well done, and congrats. :)

Wait until you see them actually shed, it's brilliant to watch.

And welcome to the forum.
auger Posted - 04/03/2010 : 20:18:27
Well something amazing has happened, Calli has shed changed her water earlier and she was just hiding in the kitchen roll just had a look and there is a full skin wrapped along the cave and she is now wandering around looking very pleased.
auger Posted - 04/03/2010 : 18:36:48
HannahB Hi many thanks for the advice its much appreciated, I'll leave her to her own devices for the next few days and just change the water.
HannahB Posted - 04/03/2010 : 17:05:17
hey and welcome
first off..congrats on the new arrival - but believe me it wont be your only snake!!

your set up sounds ok, as long as theres a stat controlling the heatmat and theres plenty of hiding places then she should be fine - bog rolls and kitchen roll inners are the best thing while they are still growing up!
handling.. its recommended not to handle for the first week just so that your new snake has chance to get used to her new surroundings,theres new smells and things that shes not necessarily used to so its just to make the transition easier for her
feeding.. its best to feed them in a separate tub, a small lunchbox is a good idea, just defrost the fuzzie/fluffie in a bag or on a plate at room temp for a few hours and then either blast it with a hairdryer or put it on a lid or something over hot water to warm it up, its not recommended to put it directly in water as it looses the scent and some areas can get too hot and burn your snake, after feeding let the food get to the thickest section of the body and then gently either tip her out the tub or scoop her out
cloudy eyes.. a snakes eyes will go cloudy along with the whole body which is known as being 'blue', they will be like this for a day or two and then will clear up again, usually within a week of clearing up again the snake will shed

hope this helps - look forwards to piccies!

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000