The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 King Snake Photos
 New Mexi Black

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kehhlyr Posted - 27/10/2009 : 04:51:51
I picked this snake up at the Portsmouth Show.
The rub it was in was absolutely disgusting, it was nearly impossible to see through the side of it.

The bloke on the stand wanted 30 quid, so I give him it for it, for 2 reasons:
1. I wanted a Mexi black
2. It needed to be looked after

When I put him into his new rub, I had a good check over on him, paying close attention to his lumps (i'll get into those shortly).

His (old) rub had a bloody good check through and cleanout today, I saw 9 poos that were stuck to the inside of the rub.

Anyway, he was in a poor state, and is fairly jumpy yet quite relaxed as well, no musking or strikes (so far)

When looking at his lumps, I noticed several double vertical lines on and near the lump, it looks like impact, and I think he's had a viv door slammed on him a few times in the past.
He doesn't react any differently when I touch/poke or put pressure on the lumps, but will still be going to see a vet very soon.

Anyway, pics to follow, including the best I could get of one of his lumps.

And this is one of his lumps, it's a few inchs before the vent.

14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kazerella Posted - 05/11/2009 : 17:59:01
No Hypanthia is gorgeous!

If she was in a Disney animation she'd have beautiful eyelashes
lee2308 Posted - 04/11/2009 : 15:10:21
well done phil,i seen the fuan it came in and it was terrible,i would of been ashamed to sell it like that,but it's sorted now
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

Are you sure he's a he too? He's got a female face

what,you mean nasty looking lol
diesel Posted - 03/11/2009 : 18:57:59
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

I got some better pics of the marks on it's lumps the other day.

In the pics you can just about see the deep vertical scratches on either side of the lump, with a small one on the lump.
The guy in my local rep shop said that it looks like he has had severe trauma to that part of his body, either by getting his body caught during an escape attempt, or by getting his body caught in a viv door or such like by the previous owner.

I did ask if was worth getting him x-rayed etc, but I got told that at the moment because it's not causing any issues and it's clearly been like it for some time then keep an eye on him and bring him back in about 4 weeks.

Iv had a mexi black dumped on my door step this afternoon covered in cat bites and cat scratchs, but it also has a lump like yours at the vent, looks like the bones at either side of her spine has been crushed and it kinda looks like a hour glass shape, the scars on yours also look like scratchs which could be from a cat as well,
and the one iv just got is a big softy and even tho iv been messing with her to clean the cuts up and shes had a bath etc she aint tried to bite once

he/she is under weight and hasnt moved from her water bowl and is constantly drinking from it, iv had to fill it up 3 times already today

anyway good luck with yours and he,s very nice looking
Kehhlyr Posted - 02/11/2009 : 18:17:22
He's quite a chubby little mexi, although not excessively overweight, he is a little bit.
His scales don't quite overlap, they're not quite touching but they are. If that makes any sense.

He's also has some minor scale damage near his head as well, they did just look scratched, but have now gone a browny colour, and a couple look as if they've shriveled up.
I have a feeling that Mr Hisslehoff is gonna be keeping me on my toes and costing me more than the normal few quid for a snake.

But It'll be worth it, knowing he's gonna be happier AND healthier.

Makes me wonder though about the rest of the animals the bloke had that I got him off.
Kazerella Posted - 02/11/2009 : 14:27:02
Hypanthia has got a female face, more feminine than Nagini's anyway I'll have to get a picture for you.

With Hypanthia's lump it's like there is a thick line of bone with fat around it, that is why we (and the vet) think it's an old break in the tail that has healed into a lump. She seems to not have any feeling in her tail, so that lines up with that theory as well.

What's his weight like? is he underweight?
Kehhlyr Posted - 02/11/2009 : 13:48:33
quote:
Originally posted by Kazerella

Hypanthia has lumps too and I'm sure that they are from old injuries. With the marks on the skin, I would say that this is probably the case with Hisselhoff too.

When we went to the vets with Hypanthia the vets suggested we tried to get a bit of condition on her first before he started to look at the bumps.

Does the bumps feel like there is bone underneath?

The bumps do feel bony, yes, hence my original concern.

Can they have a 'female face'??
As for is he male, I'm only going by what I was told, but the bloke did say he was healthy as well. Looks like I should've got him probed as well.
I'll get that done at next visit in a few weeks.
Grumpy Posted - 02/11/2009 : 12:14:27
The lines are obviously some sort of damage, my Blair's phase has lumps that didn't seem to cause him any concern, when we first hd him he was way over weight. Got him checked out and were told they were fatty tissue and not to worry, just put him on a diet.
We did and he looks better and fitter, still has the lumps though.
Kazerella Posted - 02/11/2009 : 11:02:40
Hypanthia has lumps too and I'm sure that they are from old injuries. With the marks on the skin, I would say that this is probably the case with Hisselhoff too.

When we went to the vets with Hypanthia the vets suggested we tried to get a bit of condition on her first before he started to look at the bumps.

Does the bumps feel like there is bone underneath?

Kehhlyr Posted - 31/10/2009 : 12:43:36
I got some better pics of the marks on it's lumps the other day.

In the pics you can just about see the deep vertical scratches on either side of the lump, with a small one on the lump.
The guy in my local rep shop said that it looks like he has had severe trauma to that part of his body, either by getting his body caught during an escape attempt, or by getting his body caught in a viv door or such like by the previous owner.

I did ask if was worth getting him x-rayed etc, but I got told that at the moment because it's not causing any issues and it's clearly been like it for some time then keep an eye on him and bring him back in about 4 weeks.
Carl Posted - 27/10/2009 : 17:36:02
quote:
Originally posted by jono2411

not sure about a mexi that doesn't musk or bite... where is the fun in that?

Yeah I agree doesnt seem right it not musking.......or fair
Nice snake though mate well done
jono2411 Posted - 27/10/2009 : 11:58:25
good work :) beautiful snake, and nice rescue!
although im not sure about a mexi that doesn't musk or bite... where is the fun in that?
n/a Posted - 27/10/2009 : 05:47:46
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

I didn't get a pic of the dirty enclosure. Don't ask me why I didn't, because even I don't know.

Why would i need to ask when i know that the answer is clearly that you are useless!

I look forwards to seeing the enclosure as it is now, i just wish i had been there to have a little word with the seller!
Kehhlyr Posted - 27/10/2009 : 05:00:39
I didn't get a pic of the dirty enclosure. Don't ask me why I didn't, because even I don't know.

It's been cleaned now and looks new in comparison, but it's still horrible. I'll get a couple pics of that up.
It really is hard to make you imagine what it was like.
n/a Posted - 27/10/2009 : 04:56:28
Lovely mexi, Phil, looks great apart from the lumps. Did you not get a picture of the dirty enclosure?

It is a good thing that you took it home with you, i am sure it will be far happier now.

Good luck at the vets.

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000