The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 King Snake - General Keeping information
 carefresh

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Beowulf1976 Posted - 13/07/2009 : 22:40:26
Is carefresh a suitable substrate for a milk snake? If not what do you guys use instead? My better half uses carefresh for his lizard and is thinking of using it for his corn snake and his python but is it actually suitable for the sliterers?

I look forward to your input :)
15   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Beowulf1976 Posted - 06/08/2009 : 12:14:33
There is no chance that my snake could knock her big ceramic bowl of water over, that's the whole point of the design of the bowl, unless it is lifted by mouth (such as a rabbit or any other furry that has it) then yes it can be tipped, although the animal has to be pretty damn strong.

Simon recommended coconut fibre, that's the stuff his corn has been on the whole time he's had her and there has never been an issue of water on fibre. To be honest unless I am out for the day, which I've not experienced yet since having Tehya, then there is no issue because I check her nearly every 5 minutes of the day anyway, so if there was a spillage it would be cleaned up immediately, but I have seen her coming in and out of her water and the water still gets left in the bowl, not on the substrate.

I would say out of any bedding you could use, for hygiene, coconut fibre is by far the best substrate because it is the only one that you can see moisture on, so you can clean up after your snakey as she does her poopys and wee wees lol

I'm not dissing aspen because I know that it is used widely in the snake community, all I'm saying is that I'm giving coconut fibre a go, she loves digging holes and tunnels in it and to be honest, it is the most natural substrate there is closely mimicking the dry soil of the snake's real habitat.

I might end up having to choose aspen yet, I don't know but at the moment I am giving coconut fibre a fair chance to prove itself to me.

Thanks Scott for your advice, I wasn't dissing you either, I'm just giving my opinion
Triangulum Posted - 03/08/2009 : 18:12:36
Im still saying Aspen. I know the coconut fibre is dry, However, If the bowl is knocked or overturned, It's going to become very humid in there. Possibly encounting a Respiratory Infection. I've used Aspen for years, And have no problems. I can't reccomend coconut fibre, Unless it's for High humidity species, Which Pyro's arn't particually.

Scott
jono2411 Posted - 03/08/2009 : 16:17:36
i find that aspen makes sheds a bit ropey so i always put a moist hide in when they are coming into shed...
Beowulf1976 Posted - 03/08/2009 : 13:36:14
Just to let you all know that Simon and I have given up on carefresh and now moved to dried coconut fibre as a substrate, both snakes are absolutely loving the ability to tunnel in it. We moved away from carefresh because Simon's mexi black had a bit of a cocked up shed where he retained his right eyecap and about an inch of skin attached to it we believe it's because the carefresh is way too dry and there was a distinct lack of moisture in the habitat. So we quit using it just after that. (his snake is fine now, Simon held him whilst I gently pulled the skin which thankfully came away WITH the eyecap so he's 100% fine now :) )

I'm not saying to everyone don't use carefresh but I am saying be very careful and keep an eye on snakey during shedding to ensure that he/she is not too dry.

:)
Beowulf1976 Posted - 23/07/2009 : 21:31:17
she loves tunneling in it and it is very soft and light so it moves where she wants it to go :) I always found that the very tips of aspen pieces were a bit spikey, there's nothing spikey on carefresh.
theonlydarrenever Posted - 22/07/2009 : 21:10:37
i'm seriously considering buying some of this for the snake. i used to have it for my hamster and was pretty cool.

beowulf, hows your snake handling it at the mo?
ViolentJ Posted - 22/07/2009 : 20:35:04
When I originally looked at carefresh I googled it and found plenty of reptile (snake) owners who used it. It's easy to tunnel through and is safe to digest. It's also very good at soaking up water.
Beowulf1976 Posted - 18/07/2009 : 20:24:18
Well, no soon as we put her in there she was burying herself in the carefresh and it moved freely where she wanted to go, it's really lightweight and doesn't smell of anything at all, I think it's going to work, if there is an accidental water bowl spillage the lumps are easy enough to lift out when wet, it doesn't clump together when wet like wooden substrates have been known to do in my experience.

I really think it's going to work, and with the fact she's already tunneling in it is a good sign methinks ?
Triangulum Posted - 16/07/2009 : 23:28:44
I think Aspen would be better then Carefresh period. For spot cleaning aswell Aspen is alot better for them interms of hiding, They can make tunnels below, with the carefresh stuff, i don't think it would be as good in those areas.

Scott
Carl Posted - 16/07/2009 : 19:48:06
Aspen is the one to use in my humble opinion as they can digest it if swallowed
magneticblue Posted - 15/07/2009 : 16:27:51
I think most people use aspen but please let us know your opinion on carefresh when you've used it for a bit
Beowulf1976 Posted - 14/07/2009 : 09:00:37
thanks guys, carefresh it is then :) , I'll let you know how I get on with it.
jono2411 Posted - 14/07/2009 : 08:49:19
i use aspen but i can see no reason why carefresh wouldn't be absolutely fine
Triangulum Posted - 13/07/2009 : 23:27:28
Can't Imagine why not. I'd just be careful getting it wet, Spilling water bowls and such. I prefer Aspen over anything personally.

Scott
lee2308 Posted - 13/07/2009 : 23:16:21
i have seen it but never used it,good desciption too.It says ok for reps so would of thought it was ok.

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000