The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 King Snake - General Keeping information
 Thermal Gradient

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
headlow Posted - 22/06/2009 : 17:46:53
Hello all!

I was just wondering how much of a thermal gradient you all have on warmer days. On colder days I have a gradient of about 10-11 fahrenheit. Today though as it warmer the cold end has risen to 77 whilst the warm end is still at 84-85.

I was thinking of drilling some small holes at the top of the cold end to let the hot air escape. Would that work?
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
magneticblue Posted - 22/06/2009 : 19:07:15
Sylar's burrowing a bit too, may just be the time of year?
headlow Posted - 22/06/2009 : 18:40:34
Not really. He's burrowing about like mad at the moment, and he was on the go all of last night. He came straight out when his lamp went out and was climbing all over the place. He fairly destroys the place.......you should hear the noise he makes. A completely different snake since he's started feeding again.
magneticblue Posted - 22/06/2009 : 18:37:31
I would say that its not a problem really. Has your snakes behaviour changed at all?
headlow Posted - 22/06/2009 : 18:31:52
At the moment I'm using A 75 watt daylight bulb on a dimmer stat. On the colder days it seems bright enough all day, but on warmer days it looks like the light is barely on.

At nights I'm using a heat mat with stat and a 25 watt moonlight lamp. That seems to keep the temps no problem.

I was thinking of drilling the holes in a straight line about two thirds of the way up the tank. In winter it would be easy enough to block up the extra holes with some plywood or something.
Gingerpony Posted - 22/06/2009 : 17:59:58
depends on your method of heating, significantly increasing ventilation might mean you struggle to get high enough temps in the hot end if you're using a bulb, although with a heatmat there should be little change. on particularly hot days you could rig up a fan....... i think Habistat do a 'cooler' stat for this purpose, although IMO snakes will tolerate a brief increase in ambient temp without a problem

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000