The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 King Snake - General Keeping information
 feeding in the viv??

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
athena1 Posted - 02/06/2009 : 02:19:08
Hi all! Am a first time snake owner and the person we got the snake from said she'd always fed in the viv; offering frozen mouse on a plate. We've had the snake about 2 months now and have been doing this...offering the mouse on a small plastic plate. So far, so good I guess....our snake feeds readily and hasn't had any problems....has even given us an awesome shed since coming to live with us. Opinions seem mixed about feeding methods....should we try moving her to another container??? Thanks!
8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
CharlieD Posted - 03/06/2009 : 15:53:50
Heya. I Always now feed out of the viv. As above, the reasons are pretty much the same. I don't want Cleo to risk swallowing substrate, and I don't want to risk a confused and biting snake in the viv. I often let others take her out of the viv and encourage them to put their hands into the viv so that Cleo can climb onto them and come out (by choice rather than being chased around and dragged out) It is really important to me that she doesn't confuse a friendly hand with food and bite. The result is that she is very friendly, especially when hungry as she knows what it means when the icecream tub is taken out, eats well and (touch wood) I've never had a problem handling her to pop her back into her viv after food. Now looking to upgrade from a baby tank to a larger wooden viv but will continue to do the same.

Totally personal choice though.
magneticblue Posted - 02/06/2009 : 17:48:03
I feed all of mine outside of their vivs just as a precaution to swallowing substrate. Of course it could be argued that they could swallow much worse in the wild
lee2308 Posted - 02/06/2009 : 17:04:26
some will feed in tubs and some wont as the other have said, if he takes it keep to that.
Gingerpony Posted - 02/06/2009 : 13:17:03
quote:
Originally posted by kazerella

I do the same, all of mine are fed outside except the royal, who won't eat if we take her out.

I think it's important too so that the snake doesn't associate things coming in the viv with food. I think your much more likely to get bit if that case. We take all our out into a cat litter tray and they associate being placed in that with a incoming meal.

feeling blue today Kaz, not purple??
Gingerpony Posted - 02/06/2009 : 13:15:52
quote:
Originally posted by athena1

...offering a frozen mouse on a plate.

hope that was thawed and heated up!
Kazerella Posted - 02/06/2009 : 13:15:32
I do the same, all of mine are fed outside except the royal, who won't eat if we take her out.

I think it's important too so that the snake doesn't associate things coming in the viv with food. I think your much more likely to get bit if that case. We take all our out into a cat litter tray and they associate being placed in that with a incoming meal.

Gingerpony Posted - 02/06/2009 : 13:14:39
ity depends on the snake really, my corns are generally fed in tubs outside their viv, for all the reasons Kehhlyr has stated above. however my boas i feed in their viv, they are on newspaper and shredded paper as substrate so there's very little risk of ingesting substrate. and particularly with my big Dumerils boa when she's got a whiff of a meal i don't really want to be sticking my hands in the viv to get her out!!
Kehhlyr Posted - 02/06/2009 : 03:06:58
Feeding is a matter of choice really, there is no definate correct way to do it.

I feed my snakes in a separate tub out of the viv.
I do so because I then have no risk of snakes eating substrate whilst gobbling a mouse, which is probably the most common reason why some people feed out of viv.
The other reason I feed out of the viv is because one of my snakes used to have an issue with ANYTHING going into her viv, she always assumed it was food.

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000