The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 King Snake - General Keeping information
 Housing Advice for young kingsnakes

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kamileun Posted - 29/05/2009 : 07:52:01
I just purchased a young kingsnake and have read that it's best to keep them in smaller enclosures, as regular sized tanks are too big and can stress them out. So I purchased a large sized critter keeper (those plastic boxes with the ventilated snap on tops) for him to live in until he's big enough to upgrade to the ten gallon I have (and eventually a 20 gallon).

The one question I have is, is it safe to use an under-tank heating pad with this? Where do I put the enclosure thermometers in this kind of setup? Can anyone recommend any certain brand of cage thermometer? The ones I used to use are fairly old and I'm gonna replace them soon.

I appreciate any and all tips and advice.
5   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Kamileun Posted - 30/05/2009 : 19:23:50
I sure did :0 They work great, too! Thanks for letting me know, it's always nice to save a little money.
lee2308 Posted - 30/05/2009 : 11:31:43
saved a few quid then
Kamileun Posted - 30/05/2009 : 07:26:05
Oh how funny, I have a couple of those aquarium thermometers from when we used to keep fish! I used to use another kind for previous snakes, and always wondered if those would work. How awesome...now all I need is to get new batteries and see if they work.
magneticblue Posted - 29/05/2009 : 20:16:42
I have my heatmat underneath covering one third of the faunarium and I have a thermometer inside on top of the substrate. However, I have the thermostat probe on the heatmat outside of the faunarium as I couldn't get the probe in securely. I then adjusted the thermostat until the temperature inside the faunarium was correct.
lee2308 Posted - 29/05/2009 : 11:27:29
With a plastic fuanarium place the mat underneath covering 1 third of the tub,you can place the thermostat and thermometer probe directly over the mat inside the tub on top of the substrate.You will be much better off using a digitalthermometer as the others are inacurate,some thing like this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DIGITAL-THERMOMETER-FAST-POSTAGE_W0QQitemZ330333926542QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Pet_Supplies_Reptiles_Spiders_Insects?hash=item4ce96fb48e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A4%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A200

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000