The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 King Snake - General Keeping information
 Theories on tail biting.

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
Kehhlyr Posted - 11/05/2009 : 16:44:51
As most of you know, Trio was a bit of a self-harming snake before I got him.
Anyway, He's come on in leaps and bounds, he's started to become a proper nosey kingsnake, and is enjoying tolerating his handling time.

But he done something today that puzzled me. He went for his tail again.
Now since i've had him, I haven't seen any evidence of him doing it, so can only assume he's not done it until today.
I'll explain what I was doing when it happened.

He was in his chocolate orange hide (his fave) and i had to go in to do a bit of cleaning. As I always do, I tend to move things around behind his hide until he comes out to investigate and when he has checked to see what i'm doing, he just tends to climb my arm or something to get in the way
He done this as usual, but all of a sudden he saw his tail disappearing into a toilet roll tube and just lunged for it.

He didn't get a very good hold on the tail, it was mostly tube he got in his mouth but he still got his tail.
I could see he was trying to get a good hold, but then he let go as suddenly as he struck.

This got me to thinking about why he may of done this.

He's not due a feed, he was fed semi-recently (5 days ago) and has been out since his feed.

I think he just saw it move, and decided to grab it just in case it was food, then when he realised it wasn't he let go.

In which case, surely snakes would know that it's their own tail?? So what else could have caused him to do it?

Any theories??

I've obviously done a fair bit of research and digging to try get some answers especially seeing as he done it in the past. But his reasons for doing it in the past are definately not the same reasons for doing it now.

14   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
wolfspirit Posted - 13/05/2009 : 18:18:34
quote:
Originally posted by kazerella

I suppose if your natural prey includes rattle snakes then you should learn to strike now and think later

Kazerella Posted - 13/05/2009 : 17:53:08
I suppose if your natural prey includes rattle snakes then you should learn to strike now and think later
Grumpy Posted - 13/05/2009 : 10:28:58
My grey band adult frequently misses the mouse and ties himself in a knot around the tongs, falls in his water bowl or the greenery. From what I've seen Kings aren't as accurate on the strike as others, made me wonder how they are in the wild.
wolfspirit Posted - 13/05/2009 : 07:28:42
quote:
Originally posted by Kehhlyr

quote:

Most snakes rely on scent to find food, so maybe his smell sense doesn't work too well, so that's why he's going for things that move instead?

That's what I would've thought, but he can smell his dinner practically before its out of the kitchen
Especially with rats.

Maybe it was a case of the the foodie thing engaging before the brain
Kehhlyr Posted - 13/05/2009 : 01:19:00
quote:
Originally posted by CharlieD

Does he have full use and sensation in his tail? right up to the tip?

He does have full use of the tail, albeit it's weaker than most other snakes.
He has feeling in his tail up to the tip, but is most sensitive around his vent, which I found out about when he went to the vets ages ago.
He does also have muscle damage there as well which could cause loads of problems if he ever tried to mate (which he wont) and may cause problems defecating as well. Although the pooing problem will be a 'one day he'll do it, another day he might have difficulties'
But i knew most of this before I got him, he's a lovely snake, and has really chilled out.

quote:

Most snakes rely on scent to find food, so maybe his smell sense doesn't work too well, so that's why he's going for things that move instead?

That's what I would've thought, but he can smell his dinner practically before its out of the kitchen
Especially with rats.
Kazerella Posted - 12/05/2009 : 19:23:12
If he's been burnt in the past, then maybe the bulb fried his brain a little so it's neurological?

Or it could just be daftness like we said. I think the smell thing is a good point though. Most snakes rely on scent to find food, so maybe his smell sense doesn't work too well, so that's why he's going for things that move instead?
CharlieD Posted - 12/05/2009 : 11:09:57
If he's got damage on the tail then maybe he has nerve damage too and cant feel that he is eating himself... I'd agree with everyone else that he probably saw something move and just lunged at it.. dopey snake..Does he have full use and sensation in his tail? right up to the tip? Cleo has a very sensitive tail but often forgets how long she is when hiding under things.. Dopey snake too!!!
Gingerpony Posted - 12/05/2009 : 06:39:39
good theory............. goes to show how incorrect set-up might ultimately affect them.
Kehhlyr Posted - 11/05/2009 : 22:57:07
i know that he's eaten himself in the past, which is part of the damage he has already go on his tail, however there could be a reason as to why he done that then....

When I had him looked at and explained how his viv was before Wolfspirit got him, The vet said that he would probably have tried to eat his tail then, because it would've tasted and smelt yummy.
Where he only had a bare household bulb, he probably wrapped himself round it, and started to basically cook himself. As he warmed up he would've smelt how warm and yummy he seemed, then tried to eat himself.

So that explains why he done it then.

But just wondered if anyone knew if there could be another reason (aside from being a dopey king snake ) as to why any snakes would do that.
lee2308 Posted - 11/05/2009 : 21:33:44
just kings for you,if it moves eat it!
Tizzy Posted - 11/05/2009 : 19:58:05
I'm sure I read something about it snakes eating themselves due to injurys causing brain damage and long lasting neurological problems, basically they lose sensation and therefore don’t realise they’re eating themselves. But I’ve slept since then and can’t remember where I read it, or how reliable the site was.
Gingerpony Posted - 11/05/2009 : 18:51:45
it was probably instinct over common sense, afterall their brain must be about the size of a pea!
Kehhlyr Posted - 11/05/2009 : 17:40:43
My corns have done it during feeding time as well, but never randomly like that.

Just wondered if it was possible for a snake to start losing their sense of smell/taste. or something similar, hence why he lunged, but then let go when he realised it was him.
matty18714 Posted - 11/05/2009 : 17:00:35
I wouldnt worry to much, there're just a bit dim. He probably just saw movement and went for it. My corn has tried eating herself at feeding time before.

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000