The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 King Snake - General Keeping information
 First fuzzy feeding

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
GirlHarry Posted - 07/04/2009 : 21:37:08
I tried feeding strawbs a fuzzy tonight, her first. She's just over 7months and has been on two pinkies for a while now and i thought she was well able to take a fuzzy. So i put her in her feeding tub and wiggled a fuzzy around. She seemed interested, and started nibbling the fuzzy's side. i turned the fuzzy around with tweezers so that it's head was facing her. After many attempts at trying to eat it sideways, she finally found the head. she had a go, for about ten seconds, then gave up and stretched her mouth VERY wide. As if stretching.

I stayed there for a while and she started getting jumpy. so i then put the fuzzy in her viv and put her in her warm hide. I'm hoping if i leave her be in darkness she'll attempt it on her own tonight.

Her body is quite wide, and a fuzzy could quite comfortably fit in her belly without difficulty, but i'm thinking her head/mouth is too small?

Have any of your snakes had problems with their first fuzzy??

8   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
Carl Posted - 09/04/2009 : 22:32:36
I feed Snoop every Saturday as I have no life and I'm always in to feed him lol
Gingerpony Posted - 08/04/2009 : 20:10:06
good idea leaving an extra day or two when first moving up a meal size, then you could go back to every 5 days when she's established on one fluff/fuzzy per feed
GirlHarry Posted - 08/04/2009 : 13:04:01
i think i just worry over daft things. i also think i underestimate her. she scoffed it and seems great today, usually she hides after a meal, but she's been nosing around her tank all morning!

could she have struggled because she's never had to open her jaw so wide before?

i feed her every 5 days, but i think with her larger meals i might leave it 7 days instead.
lee2308 Posted - 07/04/2009 : 23:19:20
great news,did'nt think it would be there for long
magneticblue Posted - 07/04/2009 : 22:52:16
Good news Girlharry.
Its quite suprising how large a prey item snakes can take
jono2411 Posted - 07/04/2009 : 22:15:49
The Baron had his first fuzzie on the 3rd and i thought he was gonna injure himself at first but then after 10 mins or so of trying he finally finished getting it down... gonna give him another one tomorrow...
GirlHarry Posted - 07/04/2009 : 22:14:59
update! i checked on her 10minutes after putting her in her viv, and it was half way down. left her be and checked on her again about 20 minutes later and she'd eaten it. She had a good sized lump in her belly so i'm happy with that :):)

thanks for your reply lee!
lee2308 Posted - 07/04/2009 : 22:10:16
I would'nt worry,if her belly is big enough her mouth is,probly just didnt fancy it.If it's still there in the morning throw it out and try again in 2-3 days

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000