The King Snake Forum
The King Snake Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 King Snake Posts
 King Snake - General Keeping information
 temperment

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert EmailInsert Image Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

T O P I C    R E V I E W
evilduderyu Posted - 28/03/2009 : 08:48:26
first off, hello everyone :)

i have a very grumpy albino king snake, she has got so aggressive i cant get her out of the viv anymore, she was fine until i moved house now she is so aggressive i cant get near her, any advice please?
6   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
magneticblue Posted - 28/03/2009 : 14:47:40
All of Kazarella's advice seems very good. Regular handling is the way forward but start small again, maybe just 5-10 minutes a day until she settles down again. The only other advice I have been given before that hasn't already been mentioned is to wash your hands before handling with the same soap each time so that the snake starts to get used to that one particular scent and knows its no danger to her. I'm sure she will be fine again in a few weeks.

Good luck and let us know how you get on and which bits of advice worked best.
Kazerella Posted - 28/03/2009 : 12:23:30
Hello

Sorry to hear your king has become nasty, but the only way to get around it is regular handling again.

Wear gloves if you have to, but make sure you don't show any fear whilst handling, even when he's being really bad.

Getting him used to your scent is always a good idea. Put some socks in the viv with him until he gets used to you.

Also try handling whilst he's in a pillow case or something similar. Once inside he won't be able to do you any harm, but he'll feel your touch and settle down to it.

Lee also gave you a good tip of letting him leave the viv on his own. My king is viv defensive but fine once outside.

If all else falls turn your snake upside down, so that it's eyes are facing the floor and you can see it's underside. They go calm and don't move in this position. Might be a good for if you have him out, but he's playing up and need to put him back in a hurry.
lee2308 Posted - 28/03/2009 : 11:56:18
hi and welcome,have you tried to let her exit the viv on her own and then pick up,mine is ok once out of the viv but if i put my hand in her home she is not happy.
Gingerpony Posted - 28/03/2009 : 11:37:35
heya and welcome

when you moved house it will have been quite stressful for the snake too, did you leave her alone for a week to settle in again with her new view?
Mancunian Posted - 28/03/2009 : 11:28:58
If I remember correctly there is some advice on one of the fora (cornsnake I expect) about how to handle fiesty snakes written by saddleninja, you should be able to find it by searching.

My Kings are the softest snakes ever, its my aztec corn that goes for your fingers at feeding time! She likes human fingers bless her.
Carl Posted - 28/03/2009 : 10:11:28
Hi mate welcome to the sight. Sorry to hear about your problem, Im not sure what you would do with an angry snake, other than Lee on here has got a grumpy Mexi Black and he had to wear gloves for a bit while he got his used to being held again. So maybe thats the way forward. Dont worry though cos Magnetic blue will be on soon as will the others at some point and they will deffo know how to sort that out. Sorry I couldnt be of more use

The King Snake Forum © 2000-08 thekingsnake.co.uk Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000